Wednesday, May 28, 2008

MayBees (Bad Pun)

On the way to the hives

Some of the hives, I couldn't get too close because they kept "zinging" me to chase me away. They don't like their photo taken. :)


Across the pond. The black locust trees are blooming and the bees are working them furiously.


Black Locust blossoms


The hives under a black locust tree. I LOVE black locust honey - its light and so delicately flavored. Usually the trees bloom at the end of April but with all the cool weather we've had they're only just now in bloom. These are one of the bees favorite trees and studies have shown that the bees can make 16,000 pounds of honey from an acre of the mature black locust.

So now, hopefully, we shall have a honey flow!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

HI! I found your blog through a comment you left on one of mine! thanks!
We, too, have beehives and with the wonderful spring we have had here in TN, the harvest should be an amazing one!!
I have bookmarked your blogs and enjoy looking at them! Thanks for sharing! God Bless!

Josie said...

Thanks! Hope you have a sucessful year with your bees as well!

Its been so strange to actually have a proper spring instead of jumping directly into summer. Not that I'm complaining! :)

Unknown said...

Yes, a proper spring has been something we have had few of in the last many years!!! I am getting a bit spoiled by the breezes, the above-adequate rainfall and amazing flower blooms!!!