Monday, April 28, 2008

Planting Berries and More

A family friend's mother passed away last fall. She had 5 acres of fruit trees and berry brambles, most of which are over grown or died out. Since the house is to be sold soon I was told I could go find and dig starts. So guess what I did Saturday? :)

I now have 10 more thorn less blackberries planted along the east edge of the property. I hope to save up and put a fence in for them to climb later this summer. I also got 7 red rhubarb starts and planted them in a swathe by the pump. However, I'm most pleased with the red raspberry starts I dug. Tonight I need to prepare an area for them and get them in the ground, but I would say there are almost two dozen little raspberry plants - Yay! I LOVE raspberries. Hopefully all my new fruit plants and brambles survive the move!

I've finally got my four apple trees pruned! They're blooming now so maybe we'll have a couple apples this fall. I planted them two years ago as three year old seedlings, so this will be the first year they produce.... *if* they actually do. Some nasty little rodent was chewing the bark off - I almost didn't notice in time as one of the trees was nearly circled. I got them all wrapped now so unless the deer come munching they should be safe.

My camera is still being repaired, so unless I can steal my little sister's again there won't be many more pictures until I get it back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what are you going to do with your berries and fruit? are you going to do u-pick?

Marvelous said...

good job! I'm sure your place is nice to live in lots of fruit trees..

Josie said...

Thanks! I love this place - I hope we can continue to improve it and care for it many yrs in the future.

I don't think I'll ever do "u pick" berries. I may sell at the farmer's market though!